Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Divide

The Divide -- January 2013! (Queerteen Press)
I still have some major editing to do, but my YA Dystopia, The Divide, will be available in e-book and paperback in January!  I'm just as excited about The Divide as I am No Turning Back, especially because this book took much less time than No Turning Back to write. (I started NTB when I was 11, and now I'm 31!)

There was still an interesting journey that I took with The Divide.  I have loved dytopian novels since high school, and I first got the idea to write one when I was 22.  The idea for this book was formed then, but I never got any further than the title and a page or two of notes.  But last year there was a prompt for a summer contest on one of the writing forums I go to, Writer's Digest Sci-Fi/Fantasy.  The contest never ended up happening because there weren't enough entries, but The Divide officially became a short story.  Early this year I decided to turn The Divide into a novella.  I quickly realized as the words poured out of me that I was actually writing an entire book.  I joined Camp NaNoWriMo this month hoping to help me finish. I already had 20,000 words written, and with the motivation of Camp I wrote 35,000 more!  I think my ending needs major work and I'll probably have to add a couple more scenes to flesh things out, but I have never written a first draft so fast, and never had the scenes just pour out of me like they did with this book. 

I will post more details here when I have them, and also try to make more of an effort to post more often here!

No comments:

Post a Comment